October Prayer Letter
“I know the New Testament pretty well, because it has been printed in my language. But I don’t know the Old Testament very well, because it has not been printed yet,” a young Bible school student remarked to me recently. The local Bible school had just begun classes that morning. After just one day of biblical studies, the student was already feeling his own lack because of the absence of a complete translation of the Bible in his mother tongue! May the Lord grant that one day, the entire Bible will indeed be available in his and many other Chadian languages!
Translation Workshops
In August and September, I participated in two translation checking workshops along with a senior consultant visiting from the U.S., Dr Hantz Bernard. We met with the translation team for the Sara Kaba Naa Bible, followed by a workshop with the Sara Kaba Dem team. Lord willing, both teams will come again in December to check more material. Pray that we will make good progress.
Immediately following the workshops with the Sara Kaba Naa and Dem teams, I participated in another workshop with consultant Dr Troy Manning. We met with the Sara Madjingaye team and were able to finish checking the entire book of 2 Kings.
Each workshop involves much preparation beforehand, as well as days of intense work during the workshop itself, so after three consecutive workshops, I was thoroughly exhausted! So in early October, I traveled to the capital city, N’Djamena, and spent some days resting at a missionary guest house there. The capital is a 14-hour trip from Sarh, but it is one of the best places to go for a change of pace and a chance to relax. Praise the Lord for travel safety and for good rest while I was in N’Djamena.
Literacy Ministry
Earlier this month, my coworker’s sister, Claire Hossack, arrived in Chad. She will be here for several months to help with the literacy ministry. This work is essential to the work of Bible translation, since the printed Bible will not benefit people unless they are able to read it. Pray for the Lord’s blessing on her and her ministry during her time in Chad.
Language Study
Thanks for praying about my study of Sara Kaba Dem. I am continuing to study the language with my language helper, Helene, but our sessions have continued to be inconsistent due to sicknesses or various responsibilities. However, the Lord has provided additional help in the study of the language. Among the new Bible school students are two couples from the Sara Kaba Dem language group. Since the students live just a short walk from my house, I’m looking forward to many more opportunities to practice the language.
Please keep praying also for my continued progress in the French language, so that I will be able to better communicate with those around me.
In Christ's Service,
Anna Beth Wivell
Labels:
Prayer and Praise
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please include your NAME and your COMMENT or QUESTION.