October 2022 Prayer Letter

Dear Prayer Supporters,

I always need your prayers, but there are times when I need a bit of extra prayer. So while it hasn’t been that long since my last letter, so much has been going on recently that I felt the need to write to you again.

Short Furlough Plans

In order to reduce the stress on the ministry in Chad, I have prayerfully decided to move to a schedule of shorter, more frequent furloughs, visiting a portion of my supporters each time. Next on my furlough schedule are the churches and individuals in Australia who have faithfully supported me for many years! Lord willing, I plan to visit in July and August 2023. If you are in Australia and you have been praying about my ministry, and you would like to hear an in-person report on what God has been doing in Chad, please let me know so we can find a time for me to visit you and/or your church. Lodging and transportation will be more challenging this time, since my parents are no longer living in Australia, so let me know if you are able to help with these needs. Wherever you are, pray for me as I make plans for this short furlough.

Shepherd's Bag Ministry

In August when I was away on vacation, several boxes of books arrived for the Shepherd’s Bag ministry, and were stacked on the floor in my house. Unfortunately, the boxes were not well placed, and termites got in and ate through the cardboard of two large boxes of books. But God protected them, and although the cardboard boxes were in such bad shape that they immediately fell to pieces when I opened them, only two small books were ruined; dozens of other books sustained little to no damage. Praise the Lord for His protection of these books.

If you would like to contribute to the Shepherd’s Bag book ministry, please send your gift to Baptist Mid-Missions marked for Chad Shepherd’s Bag.

Hebrew Class

The theological school of Balimba started a new school year at the beginning of October. I am once again teaching elementary and advanced Hebrew, with 14 students between the two classes. I reorganized the earlier lessons since last year, and it seems to have helped the students to learn the material better. It is a joy to watch them learning!

Unrest

On October 20, widespread protests broke out against the military junta that has been ruling the country for the past 18 months. The military reacted with violent force, and the official report says that 50 were killed and over 300 injured (though many people are saying that the actual death toll was much higher than this). Whatever the real figures, it was the most violent internal unrest that Chad has experienced for many years. The situation has settled down again at present, but much anger still simmers under the surface. So please pray for peace in Chad.

Thank you for your faithful prayers and support.

In Christ's Service,
Anna Beth Wivell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your NAME and your COMMENT or QUESTION.