Weekend in New York City

I got back today from my last meeting of the year, on Long Island, New York! It was my first time to go into New York City (as far as I can remember), though I've driven through the city on the interstates once or twice, on the way to other places. I arrived on Friday afternoon, met the pastor and wife, several church members, and other missionaries in the Bronx. They were there to move a young BMM appointee couple into their new lodgings behind the auditorium of the church they will be helping to plant. I had never met them before, so it was neat to briefly get to know this missionary couple.

After we got all the missionaries' stuff moved into their apartment, I went with the pastor, wife and son, and a church member into Manhattan for a tour of New York City (via subway, ferry, and lots of walking!). I got to see the Statue of Liberty, Grand Central Station, Times Square, St Patrick's Cathedral, and Rockefeller Center with the huge Christmas tree. In spite of the December chill and the busy Friday night, I really enjoyed seeing these famous sights. I have posted some photos of my trip here.

The next day, I joined the pastor and several other church members for their nursing home ministry. I didn't have any responsibilities here, just sang Christmas songs with the church folks and greeted some of the residents. In the evening, I gave a devotional at the church's ladies Christmas party, which went fairly well. On Sunday, I gave presentations in Sunday School and the evening service, as well as introducing myself in the morning service. All those presentations went very well. Thank you to all who prayed for my weekend ministries! I have no more meetings scheduled until after I return from my survey trip to Chad.

When I got back to Pennsylvania today, two important things were waiting for me: my passport - complete with my visa for my trip to Chad - and my meds to protect me against malaria and traveler's "bugs". Praise the Lord that all the official paperwork is now in place for this trip! Now I can focus on personal preparations for the trip, including packing (as time draws closer).

Thank you for your faithful prayer support!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your NAME and your COMMENT or QUESTION.