McDonald's, French style

One of the interesting aspects of moving to another country, especially a highly developed Western country, is how things that you expect to be familiar can turn out to be quite different from the country which you left.

Today I needed to do some shopping, but as I needed clothes as well as groceries, I went to Carrefour (big European chain of stores much like Walmart in the States) instead of the small grocery store I usually use.  It's a huge store and I don't really know my way around it yet, so by the time I was finished, it was already past my usual lunchtime.  As it is a longish trip home by tram, I crossed the street to get something from McDonald's.  Strangely, it was my first time entering a McDonald's here in France.  After all the traveling and eating out I did on deputation, it was hard to get excited about a McDonald's burger, especially with tasty French baguettes and sandwiches available from the bakery next door, and potluck dinners at church every Sunday.  But I'd heard a bit about how different McDonald's is in France, enough to make me curious ... and my rumbling stomach seemed like a good enough excuse to see it for myself.

Anyway, certainly some things were familiar - the yellow arches, the "Big Mac" on the menu, the long line of people waiting to put in their order.  My meal included fries and a coke along with my sandwich.  But I ordered my meal from a touch-screen computer instead of at the cash register.  Actually there was the option of a cash register with a real person to take your order, but one look at the long line in front of the registers and short lines by the computers made my choice for me - less personal to be sure, but quicker and more convenient.  And my sandwich?  A McBaguette: hamburger, cheese, and lettuce, but on a small French baguette.  Interesting combination, but in my opinion, it was much better than a flat hamburger bun. :-)

Well, this little incident might never be listed as one of the most significant differences between France and the USA or Australia, but it does illustrate a point about learning to live in another culture.  While in many ways we may be similar (after all we are all human beings), cultures can be very different - sometimes in ways you didn't expect.  Thanks for praying for me as I continue to learn not only a different language, but also a very different culture.

1 comment:

  1. Not a big fan of McDonalds myself but when in Samoa a couple of years back, I did have to try a "Hot Tao Pie" instead of our usual Hot Apple Pies. Not too bad either, but much prefer the Apple of home.

    ReplyDelete

Please include your NAME and your COMMENT or QUESTION.