These past few months have been so eventful that I have been wondering how I can keep this letter from turning into an epistle! How can I begin to describe, in such a short space, all the ups and downs that can happen on an almost daily basis here in Chad? The recent months have been like a rollercoaster, but I will try to give you the highlights.
Workshop Update
In November 2014, I met with the Sara Kaba Deme translators to check the second half of 1 Chronicles and all of 2 Chronicles. We had a great workshop and even finished a day ahead of schedule. But we all had a shock when just a few hours after we finished our work, Paul Yongo, the assistant translator (see photo above), suffered a stroke and was rushed to the hospital. He remains partially paralyzed and unable to speak. Please pray for him, and for his wife and ten children. Pray also for the Sara Kaba Deme translation team, which is now without its assistant translator and typist. Two younger men have undergone translator training, but have not yet been installed as translators, so that chief translator Job Hondo is currently working alone. Please pray for him also at this time.In December, I had planned to meet with the Sara Madjingay, but as the team was not able to be ready in time for the workshop, I instead met with the Sara Kaba Naa team to finish checking the book of Proverbs. We were glad that the Lord gave us the opportunity to make more progress. I will meet with the Sara Madjingay again in May or June of this year.
Comings and Goings
My coworker, Susan Hossack, arrived in Balimba on January 25. Please pray for her as she settles back into life and ministry in Chad. We are looking forward to a busy schedule of translation and literacy workshops this year.Les and Carol Carew, who have been doing language study in Chad for the past nine months, have been getting ready to move to their intended destination, the Central African Republic. They had planned to fly there on a Missionary Aviation Fellowship plane at the end of January, but the flight was cancelled due to a difficulty in acquiring the necessary paperwork. Eventually the problem was resolved, and the flight has been rescheduled for late February. Please pray for Les and Carol as they make this new transition.
The Chadian Baptist Church Association
In mid January, our national Baptist church association elected a new set of officers. It was very encouraging to watch the Lord at work as the association chose a godly group of men. Their ministry among the churches will not be easy. Over the past several years, there have been many problems among our churches, so that their task is rather like being given the job of driving a runaway freight train! Please pray for a special measure of strength, wisdom, and courage for these men.In Christ's Service,
Anna Beth Wivell
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please include your NAME and your COMMENT or QUESTION.