November 2021 Prayer Letter

 Dear Prayer Supporters,

Thank you for praying for me as I traveled back to Chad in September. If you haven't already heard, I arrived safely in Chad on September 23, and I quickly got settled back into life and ministry here. Since then, I've been so busy that it's hard to believe it's been only two months since I left the USA! 

 

Bible School: Housing and Hebrew

This year, the Bible school in Balimba has seen the largest freshman class that anyone can remember, nearly doubling the size of the student body.  This is exciting, but has causes some new challenges for the school, not the least of which is that they have now outgrown the available student housing.  But because of an exceptionally generous gift from a supporting church, this need has now been provided.  This week they plan to begin building the additional student housing that is so badly needed. Praise the Lord!

It's been my joy for years to invest in lives of these future pastors in various ways.  This year I have a new way to help the students: I've officially started teaching Hebrew at the theological school. It's different teaching in a classroom setting than it was to teach unofficially at my dining room table during Covid last year!  But I enjoy it very much! Most of the students are making steady progress in Hebrew, but a few are struggling. Please pray for them.

 

"Shepherd's Bag" Book Ministry

The ministry of making books available for pastors and Bible college students is more active than ever.  We even have a name for it now: The Shepherd's Bag (providing equipment for pastors – taken from 1 Samuel 17:40).  The increase in the student body at the Balimba theological school and institute has meant many new book requests from the new students.  Also, more pastors are hearing about the ministry and are also ordering books.  It's all I can do to keep up with them!  What a thirst they have for knowledge and for better-quality resources!

One box of books arrived with a special reminder of how God has His hand on this special ministry.  The cardboard box had somehow gotten wet along the way and was nearly ruined.  The box itself was nearly in tatters, and much of the inside had obviously gotten damp. In some spots, the packaging had even begun to get moldy.  But in spite of the serious damage to the packaging, the books inside were still in perfect condition! Praise God! And please keep praying for God to protect these books. 

 

Blessed by Guests

We have lately been blessed with many missionary guests: some to give extra training to pastors, others to help with various aspects of Bibles International's ministry in Chad.  At present, I am hosting two ladies from BI's literacy department.  Both of them have traveled widely in other parts of the world, but it is their first time in Chad.  It has been a blessing to have them!  Their work is vital to the Bible translation work here: what good is it to have a Bible in your language if you can't read it?!  Please pray for them as they wrap up their work here this week and head back to the USA.

 

Thank you for your faithful prayers and support.


In Christ's Service,
Anna Beth Wivell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your NAME and your COMMENT or QUESTION.