Learning Patience

I was going to post an article entitled "Waiting", because it does seem like I've been doing a lot of that lately! Waiting for more support to come in, waiting to hear that I've been accepted to attend classes at BJU this summer, and waiting for my visa for my next trip to come in. But I know at least one reason for that: the Lord is trying to teach me patience! So I chose a more appropriate title.

Yes, waiting is never something I've been very good at. I get as impatient as anyone at slow computers, delayed traffic lights, and slow-moving lines at the cash register. But waiting for God to work can be much more difficult, especially when His timing is different from mine; yet that is what God often uses to build character. I often find myself battling the conflict between my own eagerness to get to the field and burden for the needs there, and the knowledge that God's timing is best and I must wait on Him.

Last night before I went to bed, I read a portion of Exodus about some of the ten plagues through which God brought Israel out of Egypt. I wonder if Moses and Aaron got impatient, longing to fulfill God's calling to deliver the Hebrew slaves, yet having to wait as plague after plague never seemed to get them any closer to that goal! But suppose God had delivered Israel after the first time Moses spoke to Pharaoh; what would have happened? The goal would indeed have been accomplished, but Israel would have missed some amazing blessings of watching God at work, the Egyptians would have missed being shown how great the God of Israel is, and we would have missed a really incredible portion of Scripture! Ultimately, God was glorified most through that long wait. Well, I don't want to miss any blessings, either! Please pray that the Lord will help me to continue to learn patience, and most of all, that He will be glorified.

But in fact, God does answer prayer in His time. I had one answer to prayer this morning. A church in Connecticut voted to take me on for $200 per month, putting my support up to 47%! This is my third church in New England, and my highest financial supporter so far. Praise the Lord! Another step closer to the field.

I am still waiting to hear from BJU about being accepted for summer linguistics classes, and I'm still waiting for my visa to come in. But it will come through, in God's time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your NAME and your COMMENT or QUESTION.