About three years ago, when I was starting part-time deputation, I had a meeting at a little church plant way out in north-western Iowa. I was just a new appointee who had no idea what I was doing, and when I was asked to speak to the kids, I was even more clueless about how to go about explaining Bible translation to children. But the church was very gracious, and the kids were interested and asked lots of questions.Since then, I've been to dozens (or maybe hundreds) of churches, I've learned a lot about deputation, myself, and the Lord; the little Iowa church has graduated to self-support, and I'm sure the kids have grown up a lot! Yet, for all the kids' classes I've spoken to since then, I don't know if I've seen any other kids that interested or that had so many genuinely curious questions. And for several years, the kids have faithfully written me personal notes and prayed for me regularly. What a valuable bunch of young supporters!
Well, this morning I got another letter from this faithful little class of kids. And as usual, they made my day! Their teacher tells me they've been studying Genesis, so the kids were asked to write about what they've been studying or about what they've learned as a result of my ministry. Among the notes and pictures are two that particularly warmed my heart.
One of the older girls was able to write me a personal note. Here it is, just as she wrote it:
Hello, how are you? Well Schools doing good ... did you have a good Easter. Well I did I had it with my family. Right now I'm reading in Genisus or how ever you spell it. Well anyways I'm in Chp. 30 right now Jacob has 4 kids but sooner or later hes gonna have 13.I'd say she's been listening to the Bible teaching! Isn't it heartwarming to read a kid's perspective on a Bible story?
Love Jenna R___
Whitney drew me a picture, and her teacher wrote on the back for her:
"Whitney is learning that 'the Bible is much important in my life.' Thanks for helping to share that with them."Although God doesn't call everyone to go overseas to help translate the Bible, everyone certainly should read His Word and be thankful that we have it in our mother tongue - a gracious provision from God that many of us English-speakers take for granted. This is a lesson I often try to share with children (and adults) when I tell them about my ministry. I'd say that Whitney has gotten the message, wouldn't you? Is the Bible "much important" in your life?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please include your NAME and your COMMENT or QUESTION.