As I have mentioned before, the translators of the Tenek New Testament (a language of Mexico) often come to the USA for their translation workshops. It would obviously be far cheaper for me to travel somewhere within the USA than to go to translation workshops in Africa or Asia, and since the Tenek workshops are usually quite short, I wouldn't even need to take much time away from deputation. But for one reason or another, it has never quite worked out for me to join the Tenek workshops.
Yet all the same, when I found out that more Tenek workshop was being scheduled in Maine this year, I was willing to try again to go. At first, the workshop was going to be scheduled in May and it looked like it would work out. But then, it was rescheduled for June, at a time when it would be impossible for me to make a trip to Maine. So I thought I'd have to wait for the next opportunity. But then I found out that the workshop was once again rescheduled -- it will be in May after all, at a nearly perfect time for me to go! So Lord willing, I'll fly to Maine on May 5, participate in the Tenek workshop May 10-14, and fly back to my home base on May 15.
An important lesson I've had to learn when it comes to translation workshop scheduling anywhere in the world is that a key word is flexibility, because with Bible translation, many different things need to be juggled every time a workshop is scheduled, including the schedules of several missionaries, national coworkers, and seasonal changes (such as heavy rain and/or intense heat, which during certain times of the year may make it difficult or impossible to have a profitable workshop). All this and more must be sorted out and coordinated, so it is not surprising that dates get shifted around sometimes! Not to mention that in order for me to go to a workshop, I have to somehow work it in around a busy deputation schedule! All this can be quite a challenge, but I'm learning to be patient and (as much as possible) flexible!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please include your NAME and your COMMENT or QUESTION.