As I draw closer to the end of deputation, you probably think I'm getting excited. You're right! A 21-year dream is close to being fulfilled! I'm sure this is one of the most exciting times in any missionary's life. It also may be one of the scariest, as I know I'm facing some of the biggest transitions and adjustments I've ever faced. What experiences, trials, and blessings will the Lord lead me though in the next 6 months or so? Only way to find out is to wait and see!
The other day, as I was making plans for what I'll be doing 6 months from now in October, I had the strange realization that I don't know for sure what continent I will be on during that time! If the Lord still has me on deputation then, I will be in North America. But plans are being made by BI staff for another trip to Chad that month, for a special workshop to give our mother-tongue translators there some advanced training, so that they can do an even better job of translating the Bible into their own languages. This sort of training doesn't take place all the time, so if the trip works out and I am able to go, I would gain experience that would be invaluable for my future ministry and quite difficult to get in any other way. Plus, I would gain more experience with the life and culture of Chad! On the other hand, I am still praying that the Lord will provide the rest of my support by August so I can leave for language school before the start of the French school year. So, in six months from now, will I be on deputation in North America, on a missions trip in Africa, or in language school in Europe? Our omniscient Lord already knows! Pray for patience and peace as I learn to wait on the Lord's timing and trust in His plan.
As far as what is happening now, I returned several days ago to my temporary lodging in Ankeny, after spending over a week in Minnesota. Faith Baptist Church in Albert Lea gave me a warm welcome, and I enjoyed their lively sense of humor throughout a great weekend of ministry. After a few days visiting my brother and sister-in-law in the Twin Cities, I stopped at Faribault and enjoyed some blessed fellowship with the folks there before leaving for Iowa.
This weekend, I'll be in Harlan, Iowa, and I look forward to seeing some old friends there from my college and seminary days. My meetings for Easter Sunday were canceled (leaving two pastors and one missionary wondering how Easter got to be so late in the month this year!), so I look forward to a short break to celebrate our Lord's resurrection before working my way east again.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please include your NAME and your COMMENT or QUESTION.