February Prayer Letter

Dear Prayer Supporters,

The weeks since my last prayer letter have been so eventful that I decided to send my letter out a little early this time. Since I last wrote, the Lord took me safely to Chad and back to the USA, and in between, I had many new experiences and adventures, and learned a lot about life and culture in southern Chad.

A MONTH IN THE HEART OF AFRICA

I’ve been back from Chad for about a week now, and am trying to absorb all I learned there as well as preparing to hit the deputation trail again. It was my third trip to sub-Saharan Africa, but my first time in Chad. I spent most of my time in the town of Sarh and the nearby village of Balimba, with a few days in Koumra, a few hours’ drive from Sarh. I don’t have space here to tell you all of my adventures, but here are a few of them:

  • I rode in a missionary aviation plane for the first time;
  • Participated in a workshop for the Sara Kaba Naa Old Testament;
  • Learned how to take a shower from a bucket and dipper;
  • Ate goat meat for the first time (it was good!);
  • Got my first tour of a mission hospital in Africa;
  • Visited three churches and a national Baptist fellowship conference;
  • Was in my first car accident in Africa (no one was hurt, and the driver of our vehicle was not at fault);
  • Observed several days of a literacy workshop for the Ngamh language;
  • Took a 12-hour bus ride from Sarh to N’djamena ... and many more!

In just a few short weeks, I grew to love the people and the country, and the hardest part about the whole trip was leaving! May the Lord bring me back there soon!

PRAY FOR SUMMER 2011 DEPARTURE

Before I can return to Chad, I will need to go to language school for concentrated study of the French language. I cannot effectively communicate or minister in Chad without a good grasp of French, and it seems that the Lord is leading me to go to France for this training. While waiting on the Lord and trusting in His timing, I am also praying that that if it is His will, He will allow me to finish deputation and be cleared for departure in time to begin language school at the start of the French school year in September.

I thank the Lord for providing two new supporting churches and increases from two others in the past month. Now that I have visited Chad, I am making some adjustments to my support estimate to allow for the higher costs of food and fuel there, as well as additional ministry expenses. But the new support has made up the difference, and I am now at 65%. Praise the Lord! I have calculated that 25 more supporting churches or individuals at around $50 a month would bring me to full support. Will you pray with me that the Lord will lead 25 more churches or individuals to commit to regular support so that I can begin language school?

In Christ's Service,

Anna Beth Wivell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your NAME and your COMMENT or QUESTION.