Life in Chad

While I was in Africa recently, I was asked in an email to describe the lifestyle of people in southern Chad. Of course, there is still much I don't know about Africa, since I'm still very inexperienced, but I tried to summarize some of what I've learned so far. I thought you might be interested to read what I wrote while sitting in a missionary home in Balimba (near Sarh):
The people in Chad are very poor - Chad is one of the poorest countries in the world. Here in Sarh, only the major town-center roads are paved, though work is being done even now to pave more roads. Typical houses are small, round huts made of mud brick, with a roof of dried grass. Tin roofing is also available and is more durable, but more expensive, and gets really hot. Families tend to be larger than in the US (partly because polygamy is still common, partly because children are considered a blessing here). When new members join the family, new huts are built, so that a family's home is actually a collection of several huts. In Chad and throughout much of Africa, people really spend most of their time outside - the huts are mainly for sleeping and sheltering from the rain, heat, or sun.

Traditional clothing is very colorful. People (especially men) do wear western-style clothing as well, and Muslim men wear long, whitish robes. As a rule, women do not wear pants here, except for prostitutes.

The staple food is called boule - it is a sort of paste made of some kind of grain - millet, manioc, corn, or rice. It is served in a dish, in a dome shape like an upside-down bowl. They will usually also make a sauce with meat and vegetables. Traditionally, you eat it with your right hand, but sometimes they will provide spoons or forks. You break off a chunk of the boule and dip it in the sauce, and then put it in your mouth. But Chadians do like variety, and I have been served various pasta dishes, nuts, rice, and fruit. For meat, I've so far been served beef, chicken, and goat. People also keep pigs and sheep, and I've heard there are people who eat cats and dogs. Mostly though, cats and dogs are kept as pets and not as food. Soda is popular - you can get Coca-Cola, Fanta, Sprite, and some other fruity sodas. Tea is also popular (I was never a tea-drinker, but I've actually learned to like it here, because it is served so much and would be rude to refuse).

Transportation is quite different here. The missionaries use Toyota 4x4 Land Cruisers, because the roads are so rough. Most Chadians can't afford those, but motorcycles, mopeds, and bicycles are common, also motorcycle taxis called clandos. Many people just walk, or hitch rides on trucks for long trips. If they have a load to carry, they will usually carry it on their heads, which is actually a very practical method and allows people to carry amazingly heavy loads without ruining their backs or shoulders. Very large loads will be carried in carts pulled by oxen or donkeys, or in a sort of wheelbarrow called a pousse-pousse (that's "push-push" in English). Horses are used here as well, mainly by Muslims.

As I've said before, poverty does not equal misery. The missionary I'm staying with has confirmed what I have noticed myself - you have never met such joyful people. Of course, there are exceptions: people who have made money and possessions their goal in life, and are miserable as a result. But in Chad (and much of Africa), people find most of their happiness in this world through relationships, not through entertainment or success (of course, true joy comes only from the Lord). On the other hand, I don't want to paint a false picture; life in Africa is certainly tough. Just read the headlines - famine, drought, disease, wars, etc. But I've met many Americans who know only the headlines, so I wanted to try to show that there is more to Africa than that.

4 comments:

  1. That was interesting

    Could you comment on: electricity. Does anyone have a cell phone? How to they heat food (wood or some kind of gas?). What do they do when someone is injured or sick (the health care question).

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Electricity: There is town elecricity in Sarh, though it cuts out sometimes. The missionary family who live there have a backup generator. In the villages, like in Balimba, the only way to get electricity is a generator or solar panels. Many people have battery-powered electric lights for nighttime use.

    Lots of people have cell phones - there are cheap pay-as-you-go phones that are affordable for many Chadians. It's an interesting experience to be sitting in church or in a conference in Chad, with so much of the environment being so different, yet hearing the familiar noise of someone's cell phone ringing in church! :-)

    I ate Chadian food on a number of occasions, but didn't often get to watch the actual cooking process. I think they use wood or charcoal. On the bus ride back to N'djamena, people were barbecuing goat meat with charcoal barbecues. At a conference I attended, I got a picture of the cooks in the outdoor kitchen - http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=126149927453635&set=a.122682474467047.19923.100001758861735&theater. The concrete slab they are sitting on is their oven - they build a fire inside it. However, the missionaries use gas stoves - there are no gas lines, of course, but you can buy propane gas bottles.

    Getting adequate health care is a real problem in many parts of Chad. There is a hospital in Sarh, and a dispensary in Balimba. There is also a mission hospital in Koumra, where one of our BMM missionaries works as an OBGYN, along with a Chadian doctor and nurses. I visited this hospital and had a tour, and though it doesn't look like an American hospital, they are able to provide quality health care for thousands of people in that region. But for many Chadians, especially in rural areas, quality health care is neither available nor affordable, which is one reason for the low life expectancies in Chad and other parts of Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should add: the missionaries also make use of wood stoves; gas is easier, and not so hot in the hot season, but more expensive, so it is useful to have a wood stove as well as a gas one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Anna thanks for the info. It is always neat to see the insides of different cultures. makes you so much more appreciative of all the blessigns we have as well as realizing what we really can do without. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Please include your NAME and your COMMENT or QUESTION.