One major task and expense of moving overseas is getting one's belongings across the ocean. Often this involves shipping a container with large belongings such as furniture, personal items, and things that are difficult or expensive to get on the field. Since I currently live in pre-furnished missionary housing, I have little furniture or appliances of my own, but of course I will certainly need them in Chad.
The Lord is providing for this in a special way. For several months now, I've been communicating with another missionary family who are in the process of transitioning from Chad to another mission field. They are selling many of their belongings which are still stored in Chad, and have graciously offered me first choice on buying them. This means that there are a great many things that I won't need to buy in the US and ship across the ocean - from Tupperware containers to furniture and appliances. They will be stored in a container in Chad and will be there waiting for me when I am ready to set up my own home there. The other day I received a complete inventory and price list; now all I need to do is decide which things I am going to purchase! Please pray for wisdom as I decide!
I've also seen another example of God's provision this past week: a couple has begun supporting me, bringing my support level to 71%! Thanks for continuing to pray!
So glad you're going to be able to buy so many pre-owned things. That will cut down significantly on the cost and eliminate shipping costs on those items. Will you live in Balimba or in Koumra?
ReplyDeleteSusan and I agreed it is too early to decide for sure at this point, since I still have up to a year of language school ahead of me, even after I finish deputation. Living in Balimba or Sarh would obviously cut down a lot on travel expenses, but Koumra has its advantages too. I'll probably live with one of the other missionaries at first, until I get acclimated to the culture a bit, then find a place of my own (maybe rent a concession in Sarh?? We'll see). But nothing is definite yet, anyway.
ReplyDelete